Unfortunately, we did not score tickets this year. Boo!!! But, we’re doing the next best thing, gathering with friends for a big bash. Good food, games and plenty of Kentucky spirit(s). Oh, yeah, and a horse race or two will be watched.
According to the sports writers, current favorites are Lookin At Lucky trained by Bob Baffert with 3 – 1 odds, and Sidney’s Candy owned by weight loss mogul Jenny Craig, with 5 – 1 odds. As of right now, I’m picking Dublin as my overall horse to win. He stands at 12 – 1 and is trained by D. Wayne Lukas. Not too bad.
Just because bets:
- Homeboykris, owned by Yankees Joe Torre, for Hubby (50-1 odds, what the heck)
- Backtalk in honor of my son, also a 50 -1 odds horse, but an offspring of Smarty Jones, so you never know.
- As I mentioned yesterday, I loved the look of Paddy O’Prado. You should always bet on a gray horse, no matter what. So, I may place a show bet on Paddy.
- For those of you who follow blogger Sara at Southern Comfort, her good friend is co-owner of Mission Impazible, so in honor of Sarah, place a wager on her friend's colt.
- Last, but not least, the filly, Devil May Care. You gotta place a bet on the only gal running in the race. Girl Power!
To those of you who are attending the Derby this year, cheers to you. It’s such fun and one of my favorite events of all time. There’s nothing else like it. Ladies, wear your hats proudly and may those heels not do a number on your feet by day’s end. Gentlemen, make sure your ties are straight and your white bucks are ready to go.
For those of you who will be watching the Derby from distances far and wide, raise a toast during “My Old Kentucky Home.” I will be, with a tear in my eye. :)