Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Always Remember Them

Most of the time, I keep this blog light-hearted. There's so much going on in the world, we sometimes need to escape from the craziness. If we don’t take a moment to seek out the fluff in life, we may find ourselves curled up in the fetal position under our desks.

But, there are times when we need to look at what’s going on around us and take in the enormity. Next month, we will commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11. We’ve been at war for close to 10 years. We’ve lost so many amazing men and women to the war on terrorism. Words can’t express the gratitude I have for our military personnel.

I say this because I came across a heart-breaking photo today that really got to me. 

Navy Seal Jon Timulson was laid to rest last week in Iowa. His military K9, Hawkeye, watched over him one last time.

Maybe it is because we’re approaching Sept. 11 and the feelings are beginning to arise again. Or maybe it’s because I take it for granted (knowing that I never should) that my daily routine involves dropping my kids off at school, working 8 to 5 p.m. and going home to my nice house to eat dinner with my family. Meanwhile thousands of military families are spending days and nights apart from each other, or worse, coping with the loss of a loved one.

So, I leave you with this image today in hopes that you’ll take a moment to say a prayer or send positive thoughts to this young man’s family, as well as all military families. It’s because of them, that I’m able to drop my kids off at school, go to work from 8 to 5 p.m. and return home to my nice house to eat dinner with my family.

God bless our soldiers and the wonderful nation in which we live.
Image from CBS Evening News


10 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

The picture of that little dog, missing his master, is just so poignant...

AEOT said...

Oh, that brings tears to my eyes. That poor, poor doggie and poor, poor family who are missing a great man and master. I cannot imagine the sacrifice these families go through. So difficult!

Tote said...

A picture is worth 1000 words. Such a sad site, especially with the dog.
Thank you for making us remember we should be thankful for armed forces, and everything we have.

Susan

sweetpea said...

beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer said...

thanks for posting this..brave soldiers who keep us free....

Princess Freckles said...

Oh, boy, this picture just brought tears to my eyes. You're right, we might not take the time to remember these men and women and there families when we really should be doing more to honor them. Thank you for the post and the picture...for the reminder that I shouldn't really need.

teresa-bug said...

That brought instant tears to my eyes. Powerful picture.

helen tilston said...

No words needed with that image.
It is so sad.

When will it end? We need a peace march. How about a day of peace each month, no arguing, no violence only kindness to all.

Prayers and love

Natasha in Oz said...

This is indeed a poignant image. It was seen on many TV news programs over here too.

We have lost another of our soldiers this week. He was 25 and died during operations in Afghanistan. Sadly he was the eighth Australian killed this year.

Lest we forget.

Blessings,
Natasha.

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

There are some really wonderful shows about 9.11 playing on the Discovery Channel tonight (and there will be more new ones next Thursday). A lot of heros that day and beyond. 10 years...incredible...b/c I remember every detail of that day like it was yesterday.