Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Random Thanksgiving Thoughts

Did you vote today? Our gubernatorial election, among other state/local races, is today. I stopped by the elementary school in our neighborhood and cast my vote, behind the woman in line with her pug dog. Really, lady?


After that, I made a quick stop by Fresh Market to pick up a bag of cinnamon pinecones to be placed in a decorative bowl in our foyer. I love the smell of these pinecones and I was so excited that Fresh Market featured them again season. They carry a very harvest-into-holiday smell. You know what I mean.

I also placed our order for Thanksgiving. Yes, friends, we’re having a Turducken for the big day. If you’ve seen Paula Deen’s Thanksgiving special, you’re familiar with it. If not, here’s the 411: it’s a boneless duck breast, stuffed inside a boneless chicken breast, stuffed inside a turkey breast. Herb stuffing and Andouille sausage are layered throughout. Hubby also will make his grandmother’s oyster stuffing recipe. Jealous?
If you're looking for a Thanksgiving-themed centerpiece, consider one of these decorative turkeys, available at Cartwheels in Louisville (the owner is a former classmate of mine).

So, for those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving in the good ole’ US of A, what’s on your menu this year? Will you be hosting? Heading out of town? For many of us, it will involve eating ourselves into a food coma and falling asleep in front of the football game on TV. Ah, the holidays!
Images from Fresh Market and Cartwheels Paper & Gifts


7 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

Free Range fresh kill Turkey...goose hunting on the day after.
Turducken! I am jealous!

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

Heading out of New England... it will be hard to get into the spirit, actually. We'll like;y be on a beach.

The Southland Life said...

we have oyster dressing too - so yum!

Chic Coles said...

Wait we have never heard of a turducken. that sounds amazing.

Town and Country House said...

So love the Fresh Market--wish I could do all my grocery shopping there! We'll host and it will all be pretty traditional, although the Mister will smoke the turkey on the grill. Sausage-pecan-cornbread dressing, sweet potato souffle, roasted Brussel sprouts are the "don't mess with the menu" staples. I love that Thanksgiving is "early" this year, with six whole days until December 1!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

I grew up having oyster dressing but I don't have the recipe that my grandmother used. I've been wanting to try making it for years now.

Love yummy smelling pinecones!

JMW said...

You guys have made me so hungry with Thanksgiving menus! Only two weeks away!