Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving and Small Business Saturday

Happiest of Thanksgivings to my friends in Bloggerland, and to your families as well. I hope you enjoy a day full of laughter, love, good food and a nap or two. We all have so much for which to be thankful this year. And for those of you going through trying times this holiday season, please know that we are thankful for you and wish you the very best. 

For you brave souls who venture out for Black Friday, best of luck to you. I'll be snuggled warm in bed while you're getting great deals for the holidays. Although, have you noticed how much earlier stores are bumping up Black Friday? Many retail outlets are starting the madness on Thanksgiving night, which I think is wrong, wrong, wrong. Give your employees a chance to enjoy the holiday with their families! I mean, do we really need to score a new iPad or game station at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving night, as opposed to 5 a.m. the next morning?

One of many wonderful items available at The Urban Farmhouse Market, a new gift shop in Louisville.

I've heard that there's a movement to label the Saturday after Thanksgiving "Small Business Saturday," to encourage people to patronize local "mom and pop" shops. I think this a FABULOUS idea. I always find the most wonderful items at such places. In fact, there's a new shop in town that I can't wait to visit, The Urban Farmhouse Market.


It's across the street from my son's preschool and every day I pass by looking longingly at their beautiful store window. I hope to drop by on Small Business Saturday, and if you have similar shops in your town, consider doing the same. Shop local! (Whether branding this day picks up steam or not, I still like the idea.)

Should I awake from my food coma and have the urge to blog over the weekend, I will do so. If not, again, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and I'll chat with you on Monday!
Images from Style Blueprint Louisville and The Urban Farmhouse Market

13 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

Great idea on local merchants....I try to patronize our local mom& pop whenever I can
Happy Thanksgiving to your lovely family.

Anastasia Schembri said...

What a fabulous idea! The local merchants have such a hard time keeping up with all the Big Boxes that we should all make an extra effort to support them!
Hope you have a marvelous Thanksgiving my sweet friend!
xo

designchic said...

I'm big on buying local...try to do it on everything from restaurants to clothing...wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Danielle said...

What a great idea! I love supporting local shops. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family (:

Chic Coles said...

Happy Thanksgiving, have a great day. Also have fun Sat at The Urban Farmhouse Market. Looks like a goody.

Nelle Somerville said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! It's wild how much the ads make me want to shop. I'm trying to resist the urge and want to make gifts this season! Setting up the craft table as we speak. We will see... xoxo

bevy said...

There is a page on Facebook dedicated to Small Business Saturday. Hit LIKE!

We are big supporters of the movement as we are small business owners... Thanks for the plugin behalf of all of us!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Jen, Hope you have a super yummy Thanksgiving - you crazy turkey lady! xo

Lindsey said...

We have some great small businesses in Louisville. I've never heard of The Urban Farmhouse Market, but I definitely want to check it out!

Renée Finberg said...

*supporting local business
is so important.

if you don't want to drive down your avenues with empty store fronts,
and for rent signs everywhere....
which only perpetuates a recession,depression -

buy from local shops.
it is our duty {i feel}
as Americans.

xx merry merry to you and your beautiful family xxx

Beth Dunn said...

That place looks adorable!
xoxo
SC

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I wish i could shop at small shops more often. Where I live there aren't very many of those cute little stores left. The only small unique stores left are the antique malls. I think it is to expensive to have a small store here in Thousand Oaks California.

Karena said...

I love the small merchants shops! Urban Farmhouse Market looks wonderful!!

Thank you so much for visiting!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena