Monday, March 28, 2011

Wreaths: Yes or No?


The latest issue of Garden & Gun arrived this weekend, yet again full of wonderful essays and photographs. Author and founder of G&G, Julia Reed, wrote about door wreaths and yard art in this issue. According to her, wreaths should only be hung on your front door during the Christmas season. Hmmm. What are your thoughts on this? I've seen some beautiful spring and fall wreaths and I think the right one can make a beautiful adornment to a front entry.



But, is it considered gauche? Not that what Julia says is the end-all-be-all, but I'm just curious.

She is right, though, about promptly removing one's holiday wreath once the season is over. There's a house down the street from us that still has a large evergreen wreath hanging to the left of the front door, with two red and silver ornaments attached to it. As I was walking with a couple of girlfriends last week, one of them said, "Would it be bad if I ran up there and took it down?" Yeah, you probably don't want to do that, but it certainly is tempting. :)

As soon as I can get a link to the article, I'll share it with you so you can read Ms. Reed's comments for yourself. Or buy the latest issue and let me know what you think.

Happy Monday, everyone!

A major shout-out to my Kentucky Wildcats for their win over North Carolina yesterday. We're going to the Final Four!!

Coach Calipari and DeAndre Liggins celebrating UK's win last night.

If you saw my posting from earlier this morning, I decided to alter it a bit. I sounded like an ungracious winner and I didn't mean to come off that way. My words were not directed toward UNC fans, but toward some unhappy University of Louisville fans who joined us last evening. They were being spoil-sports, clearly unhappy that their little team didn't make it very far in the tournament, and therefore felt the need to make snide comments about UK. Don't ruin the fun for the rest of us, guys.
Images from Martha Stewart Living, j-a-girl blog and kentucky.com

19 comments:

Kerr said...

GO CATS!!! ugh, UL fans....

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

i love wreathes, so i don't necessarily agree with her. as long as you change them according to the seasons, i think they're great!

LPC said...

I'm a no-wreather except at Christmas too. But I'm a bit of a curmudgeon about these things...

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

A city neighbor does a (somehow) tasteful seashell wreath in summer, an autumn harvest one in fall, and rose and ribbon one for the horse-races. Variations on a theme, daring, and well-done.

Jennifer said...

I love to decorate according to the season and always did as my kids were growing up...a welcoming wreath on the front door is a great cheer any month of the year!

counting the days til warmer weather! thanks for stopping by!

Alaka said...

I love wreaths! I think they are a nice decoration, as long as they go with the season. So excited for the game this Saturday! GO CATS!!!

Tote said...

I love wreaths on the front door. I think they compliment the door and the season and they are very welcoming as well.
I think you should do what you would like to do and not worry about what anyone says.

Susan

Main Line Sportsman said...

Pretty much only because of you and our blog friendship...I am rooting for kentucky...

Tara said...

I love Garden and Gun and have been drooling over the latest issue, too! I usually don't do wreaths except for the holidays (well, and my wedding day, when we decked the church doors). A lot of Texans display wreaths for Fiesta, though...

bevy said...

I don't do wreaths except for at Christmas. However, that just may be because I am either too lazy or too cheap to buy and put one up for all the other holidays!

Town and Country House said...

Hmmm. I only use a wreath at Christmastime, but I do like front door decor. I have a cane-shaped basket that I use for fall leaves, and I have a wrought iron basket that I usually plant with a fern, some ivy, and some impatiens for the summer. I hope this would meet Julia's approval!

Tessa said...

I think if my entrance looked like the Martha pic, I could hang anything up and it would look gorgeous! alas, I do not, so it's just Christmas wreaths for me. I like them on other people's houses though!

Natasha in Oz said...

I did an article on my Christmas blog about wreaths for all seasons. I wish that more people hung them over here but it is only done at Christmas. I put one up at Halloween (after being inspired to do so by American bloggers!) and I think I might put one up for Autumn soon. Let's see what the neighbours say!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Jessica Ryan said...

I've seen wreaths year round these days... the pink flowers are beautiful!

mommaofonediva said...

as long as they match the season, wreaths make the entrance welcoming.

have a great day!

paula said...

I don't mind them as long as they are seasonally appropriate.

paula said...

oh and not tacky!!! there is a fine line.

teresa-bug said...

I am very happy for you and your Cats....but even happier that you beat Carolina. However, I am trying hard not celebrate someone else's loss as I wouldn't want someone to celebrate ours. : (

Good luck this weekend!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

I love this question. I am an only at Christmas time kind of girl. Now, if seasonal wreaths were as nice looking as the Martha one above, I would be more inclined to like them. However, more times than not, they are very cheap looking. And yard art...too funny...that was a big topic when I was visiting my dad in FL. He is a kook and likes yard art. I, however, hate it. To each their own! xo