Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne, 1917 - 2010


Just learned that the legendary Lena Horne has died. She was 92 years-old. I can remember seeing the footage of her as a young woman, singing "Stormy Weather" and thinking she was so beautiful and had such an amazing voice.

My first introduction to Lena Horne was as a child watching Sesame Street. She sang "It's Not Easy Being Green" with Kermit the Frog. It may seem silly, but I loved that scene. I still do.

She was a major musical talent. May you rest in peace, Ms. Horne.
Photo courtesy of The Globe and Mail

6 comments:

Anastasia Schembri said...

Such sad news! She was a great beauty and even greater role model! She will be missed!

myletterstoemily said...

if you look at her bone structure, you
can see why she was such a great vocal
artist. all that sound had so much space
to resonate.

and what a voice!

thank you for the sweet tribute.

wasn't sesame street brilliant at including
stars?

sara said...

What a voice! I, too, remember her duet with Kermit!

James said...

A great lady,requiem in pacem

Natasha in Oz said...

I hadn't heard that-thanks for telling me. That is so sad. I might post one of her songs for my Sunday Song this week.

Sorry I didn't see you before Mother's Day. I hope your day was wonderful.

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Metropolitan Mum said...

That's sad! She sang 'it's not easy being green' with Kermit? What a cute memory of her to have.

PS: I have given you an award: http://www.metropolitanmum.co.uk/2010/05/spread-the-blogging-love/ Because you are such a doll! :)