Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hats for Hope

A great event is coming up in Louisville on April 9 called “Hats for Hope.” It’s a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. The evening features an auction of Derby hats, as well as gift baskets, vacations, jewelry and more. Your ticket includes hor d’oeuvres, wine and dessert. It takes place at the Mellwood Arts Center.

I’ve attended the last three years and, unfortunately, I have a previous commitment this year and won’t be able to go. But, if you’re in the Louisville area, I highly recommend attending the event, especially if there’s a chance you will be going to the Kentucky Oaks or Derby. “Hats for Hope” makes for a fun get-together with girlfriends. Who doesn’t love food, wine and trying on fancy hats? And, all proceeds support a great cause.

I purchased a hat last year and I’m hoping I’ll have an opportunity to wear it to either Oaks or Derby 2009. We’ll see. The above photo is Hubby and I before the 2008 Oaks (FYI - he always wears his grandfather's hat for good luck. It's a vintage Stetson and one year, we got our picture in the paper because of the unique look and story to go with it). The day started out lovely and then it just poured rain non-stop. Oh, well. Spring in Kentucky - you never know what you’re going to get!

3 comments:

QueenBeeSwain said...

nothing more fab than a big ol hat for the derby!

kHm

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...

Yes my last Oaks. pink suede peep toes. ruined. that dreadful rain. yuck!