Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cinematic Inspiration



I’m funny when it comes to watching movies. Often, I’m just as intrigued about the set design as I am about the story. The film could be reaching a pivotal point between two characters and I may be thinking “Wow, look at that Aubusson rug. Where could I score a knock-off?”

The films that come to mind when thinking of great set design include:

"Something’s Gotta Give" (see above images) – What I wouldn’t do for that Hampton’s beach house. I understand the kitchen alone has inspired many-a-home makeover.

"Father of the Bride"– Another Diane Keaton movie, do I detect a common thread here? I loved both the interior and exterior shots of that house. In fact, I think the exterior has been used for other films (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, perhaps?).

"Six Degrees of Separation" – I really liked the different reds (Russian, Chinese) featured throughout that Park Avenue apartment. There was even one room that featured pink and red together and it looked amazing.

"Match Point" – This Woody Allen film set in London featured a fabulous modern apartment with an amazing view of The Thames, as well as a wonderful old English country house.

"Everyone Says I Love You" – Another Woody Allen film, set in Manhattan. The apartment owned by Alan Alda and Goldie Hawn’s characters were, for lack of a better word, fabulous.

Hmmm, funny, looking at this list, all but one have a link to Woody Allen (with Diane Keaton having been his muse for many years). Coincidence?

Do you have any favorite films that feature a great set design? If so, please share!
Images courtesy of Columbia Pictures' Something's Gotta Give

1 comment:

QueenBeeSwain said...

you are funny- had thought about doing a post like this! love the something's gotta give house and f of the bride house. interesting tid-bit the director also did the re-make of the parent trap and baby boom- all houses I love and could live in!

there are some movies that I watch because I love the house/setting, even if I don't care so much about the plot. glad to see that someone else feels the same way too :)

kHm