Monday, June 29, 2009

Keep your chin up, Mrs. Sanford

Alright, I feel the need to drag out the soap box again. First of all, I don’t like to use this blog for political commentary or debates on the world. I feel we have so many other news outlets doing that. We’re bombarded day in and day out with stories about war, death, scandal – you name it. It can be overwhelming at times. So, I prefer to reserve this space for more light-hearted fare.

But, this morning I came across a photo of South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford (above) and just felt complete empathy toward this woman. What her husband has put her and their sons through is, in my mind, unforgiveable. I grow so weary of these politicians and their complete lack of regard for their families, and the people who elected them to office. It never ceases to amaze me how these men think they’ll get away with it. The arrogance is palpable. They ruin lives and others are left to pick up the pieces.

So, on this Monday morning, I wanted to tell Mrs. Sanford that I admire her and the fact that she didn’t “stand by her man” at the press conference where he revealed his unseemly behavior to the world and began the process of dragging her through a publicly humiliating series of events. She has a very difficult road ahead, and I’m sure there are days where she just wants to crawl into bed and not come out from under the covers. But, from what I’ve seen, she’s handling this with aplomb, holding her head high and focusing her energy on the welfare of her children. Cheers to you, Jenny Sanford.

As for you, Mr. Sanford, I think you should resign as governor of South Carolina. After that, I frankly don’t care what you do.

Perhaps if we elected more women to office, we would have fewer of these situations. No woman I know who is married with children, whether she works outside the home or stays at home, has time to initiate an affair. Heck, we can barely find time to do the laundry!

Okay, I’ve now put my soap box away. Thanks for the opportunity to rage, I mean, vent. Hope everyone has a good week. It’s a short one, thanks to the 4th of July holiday. Enjoy it!
Photo courtesy of MSNBC.com

6 comments:

QueenBeeSwain said...

what a brave, brave lady. thank you for the opinions- I agree.

kHm

Jessica Ryan said...

We had a similar thing a year ago with Elliot Spitzer (NY). But his wife has chosen to stand by him. I cannot condemn her decision, but I do not agree with it as I for one would have run for the hills. It's crazy what power and ego can do. It's sad that it destroys not the person involved but those around him. Politians (for the most part) suck.

I also blame the media.

Suburban prep said...

I think she is a very strong woman.

Proper Primer said...

I support your usage of the soap box! I believe that we elect public officials expecting them to uphold an ethical code and he has not fulfilled that obligation to the public he serves. *stepping down from the box*

Domestic Diva said...

Ditto! I am so glad that she DID not stand by him. It sends a horrible message...as if it OK. If you want to be with someone else... for the love and respect of your family..JUST TELL YOUR WIFE!!
xxxx me

Jessi said...

My sentiments exactly. I'm almost not shocked anymore when I read about these things.