Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm sorry, how much does that cost??

Pearson Company

Pottery Barn

Arhaus

So, I had a follow-up consult with Casey our designer friend, to discuss such items as paint color for the trim in the entry way, recessed lighting in the kitchen and reconfiguring the family room.

Now, mind you, we are not the type of people who regularly meet with a designer, nor do we have an open-ended expense account. But, as I mentioned in a previous post, her original consult was my Mother’s Day gift. So, we’re moving along to see what projects we can do, obviously the more affordable, low-hanging fruit being first.

She brought a catalog with her and showed me a sofa from Pearson Company that another client recently purchased and had upholstered in a houndstooth fabric. It looked lovely. Casey highly recommended this brand because the furniture is supposedly well-made, long-lasting and perfect for families with young children.

She then said she’d e-mail me an estimated cost in the afternoon. I got back to work and when the e-mail arrived, my neck snapped back. Is that really how much a sofa costs? Good God.

Now having seen some of these styles she recommended, though, perhaps we can find something similar in a more affordable price range. Several furniture sales are going on, including those at Arhaus and Pottery Barn. I just want to make sure the furniture is of a good quality and will last many years.

Dear readers, if any of you have a sofa brand or furniture company that you would recommend, I would love to hear about it. We’re looking for something stylish, yet durable, that can withstand two active children, a dog and adults who may want take an occasional nap. :)

6 comments:

Seersucker Scrapper said...

We do have a pottery barn sectional in our family room and I love it. It is very good quality and I love that it is all slip covers. Sofas are hard to keep clean with 2 little ones and a dog. I can wash the covers right at home.

We also have in our living room furniture by Rowe. Very stylish and comfortable. Although that we had scotchguarded.

Good luck. Decorating is so much fun!!!

Haven and Home said...

Hi,

Yes, sofas can be pricey. I will say that I use Peason too and they are exceptional quality. Have you looked at Mitchell Gold? Ask your designer if she uses TCS. They are trade only but a little cheaper...Good luck!

LPC said...

I surprised the bejeezus out of myself by buying a Pottery Barn sofa and chair a few years ago. Have to say I've been satisfied. With the leather chair in particular.

Black Labs and Lilly said...

We bought a wonderful sofa from Crate and Barrel this spring. It is the "Bayside Sofa" and it is slipcovered so I can change the look up in a few years if I so desire!

Also, I was told that the company who makes the sofa for C&B is great, and makes super long lasting pieces to withstand kids and 100 lb dogs!

Elizabeth said...

interesting comments. i'm anxious to read more and what you end up going with. i'm wanting to get new living room furniture this year and mine has to withold a toddler and future dogs.

i've heard crate and barrel has good quality as well as pottery barn. have you tried ethan allen? i've also heard that www.clubfurniture.com has furniture that is like pottery barn but much cheaper. im not sure about teh quality though

Jessica Ryan said...

The thing with furniture is the markup is incredible. Good stuff is pricey even without the mark-up. For our living room we have very nice stuff. For the family room... well, it certainly was not cheap, but we have to be realistic, we have children and we want and expect them to use the furniture. Now, when I finally buy something for the playroom over the garage the most I will spend is $1,000. I've seen what they do up there! When it comes to furniture I will only buy it on sale.

We have a fair bit of PB stuff... no couches, but everything has held up beautifully and they really stand by their quality and behind their customers.

Good luck!