Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I'm Reading: The Season of Second Chances


I just finished a fine novel by author Diane Meier – The Season of Second Chances - and I have to say, I was charmed by this book. It offers many appealing facets: a college town, an old house, a great supporting cast of characters and a protagonist, Joy Harkness, who finds herself experiencing an emotional growth spurt in her late-40s.

Joy Harkness takes a position in the English department at Amherst, leaving behind the college politics of Columbia University and the stark anonymity of New York City. Her journey to Massachusetts is not only a geographical change, but a change within, as this guarded woman finds herself taking leaps of faith that she never thought possible.

At times I was frustrated with Joy’s choice in love interests, not finding them very believable for this academic. But, by the end, I was a believer and saw how necessary it was for her to make these connections, and how they helped her grow into a more accepting, open person.

This novel also is about a love affair with a house. It takes hard work, patience, determination, and perhaps a little dose of insanity, to tackle something that can make or break you, like an old Victorian. As someone who has considered purchasing an older home, the maintenance simply scared me off. So, I was fascinated by Joy’s determination to make what was once a white elephant, her home. As Joy evolves, so does the house; a passage for both entities.

Alas, I don’t want to give too much away of this delightful book, so I encourage you to read it yourself. Meier’s writing draws you in and keeps you captivated until the last page.

For more information, visit: http://www.dianemeier.com/index.php

A special thanks to Leah Paulos for sending me an advance copy of the novel for review. I’m a voracious reader and I’m always on the look-out for the next great read. Thanks for sharing such a jewel with me.
Image courtesy of www.dianemeier.com

14 comments:

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I must get my hands on this one as I have a 97 year old heritage registered bungalow!!

red ticking said...

sounds so charming... happy to have found your blog xx

Unknown said...

I just finished reading this over the past weekend. I really enjoyed it too.

Town and Country House said...

Thanks for the recommendation; I always like to have a new book lined up to read.

Leelee said...

So excited to have a new book recommendation...am reading The Girl Who Chased The Moon....can't wait to start The Season of Second Chances...nice to start a summer reading list!!!

bevy said...

Thanks for the recommendation!

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

what a great review, sounds very charming.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I am reading Nick Hornby's new novel 'Juliet, Naked' at the moment. A bit sombre and slightly depressing, but I hope it will get better...

Southern Aspirations said...

This looks like a great read! I too LOVE to read, and while I'm making my way through boxes of books gifted to me, it seems I can never find enough to read.

Jessica Ryan said...

someone else recommended this book as well... looks like a must read. Thank you!

LPC said...

EM - it was me, maybe. I reviewed this too, and I agree with JMW. It's very charming and completely worth reading.

Karena said...

This sounds like the perfect book to start the season!

Karena
Art by Karena

Under this Umbrella said...

What a great book review and recommendation. I will have to get my hands on it now! Hope you're well and having a great week.

A Refocused Life said...

I'm still catching up from my long absence, so I'm covering a lot of territory in this one note. Your posts remind me how much I've missed. Everything from the book suggestion - a great possibility for the beach, to Mickelson's amazing win and your lucky win has been fun. As always, you have great posts, so it was great to be back in the viewing, oohing, commenting mode.
Have a wonderful weekend.