Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Art Glass

Hubby and I are big fans of art glass. He studied glass blowing in college under Stephen Rolfe Powell and has always had a love for that genre of art. We’ve attended some glass blowing demonstrations by Powell, Lino Tagliapietra, the Italian glass master, and at the Waterford factory in Ireland, among others. It’s an amazing craft and I’m always fascinated by the team work that goes into making such pieces. I imagine most people in America are familiar with the work of Dale Chihuly and the Pilchuck School. But there are so many new glass artists coming up through the ranks and it’s wonderful to see that more universities are adding glass programs to their courses of studies.

I’m currently reading John Berendt’s The City of Falling Angels, which takes place in Venice, with much focus on the Murano community of glass artisans. I would love to go there one day. It boggles my mind to think of how many centuries glass blowing has been taking place on that island. An amazing craft, indeed.
Image: "Autumn Jealous Cleavage" by Stephen Rolfe Powell.

1 comment:

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

OOOooohhh. Beautiful image. I went to Italy once in 2002... went to Rome, Naples and Pompei!!! Gorgeous! The artisans of the past can't be beat!!!

Glass blowing must be mind "blowing", sort to speak! My aunt lives in West Virginia and always speaks of their "glass." Don't know if that extends to their blowing experience as well. Best of luck!