Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Over the Mountains and Through the Woods...


Well, we’re gearing up for a quick getaway to the mountains of North Carolina. This is an annual trip my father-in-law and his wife plan every summer, gathering the blended family for a few days in the mountains. What’s especially nice is that they cover our accommodations at the lodge, so that definitely makes it an affordable option, since we already did our beach vacation in June. It’s nice to get away for a bit, but I’m so caught up in everything going on at home, that it’s hard to leave town for a few days knowing that I should be at the house, packing for the big move and spending time with Mom. Oh, well.

Good news, though. Mom is scheduled for release next Friday and it looks like she’ll be going home with a walker rather than a wheelchair. She’s made some major progress in the last few weeks. She has another MRI today, so please send prayers her way that the MRI will show that the infection is no longer present in the brain. That way, she can have the PIC line removed and no longer need an IV, but rather take her meds orally. I’ve been so thankful for your many prayers along this crazy journey. I do believe that’s what has gotten us through this ordeal.

So, Mom's release is the same day that we close on our house - of course, because that's how my life seems to work these days. Believe me, I'm not complaining, it just seems that everything is happening at once and the stress is getting to me a bit. On second thought, maybe a mountain get-away is exactly what I need right now. :)

Enjoy the rest of your week, my friends. I'll be back and preparing for the craziness of a move. I bet you can't wait for the ramblings I'll post about that adventure!

20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

sending virtual good vibes to your momma.....i love N.C. have a great trip!

teresa-bug said...

The mountains are so pretty...and cooler this time of year!! Have fun!

Jo said...

Have a wonderful little get away in NC with your family. Enjoy yourself, everything else will be waiting for you when you return :) My son is coming home from NC tomorrow for a week ~ can't wait!

Thrilled to hear your mother is doing better. I'll be praying for more good news.

Jo

Kerr said...

enjoy your trip. glad to hear your mom is doing well!

Main Line Sportsman said...

Hope you have good weather and a relaxing visit to NC.
Good luck with the move and with your Mom....
Sheesh Hon' ...your plate is full.

Heather said...

I am glad your mom is doing well. Have a great trip! I am originally from western NC (Hendersonville).

myletterstoemily said...

i'm so happy about your mom and will
pray for a good report. the removal of
the pic line would be so great.

even though it seems hard to leave right
now, it will give you such a nice respite
before the 'storm.'

myletterstoemily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

sending best wishes to your mom....

and good luck on the move

life...
we too are coping with my father-in-laws stroke...life can change in an instant

good to see you at Farmhouse, my friend

i'll be checking back in to see how you are doing

thinking about you....

kary
xxx

pve design said...

Prayers for your Mom are a given and enjoy your trip to the mountains....and enjoy the closing too.
pve

Kalee said...

Enjoy your mountain getaway! I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing better :).

sara said...

Have fun in NC! I'm so happy to hear of your mom's continued improvement and upcoming release!

bevy said...

Sounds like a trip to the mountains is exactly what you need. We were in the NC mountains a few weeks ago for our annual extended family vacation. I blogged about it and posted some cute pictures too! Great week...

Oh, and great news on you mother!

Beth Dunn said...

oooooo have fun in the mountains! That sounds nice
xoxo
SC

Town and Country House said...

Enjoy the mountains, when life resumes its crazy pace in KY, then you can recall a bit of your restful vacation--at least that's what I try to do! So glad to hear about your mom!

Kimmy said...

There is nothing quite like North Carolina, I run to Asheville whenever I need peace and quiet with no interruptions.
It is the perfect place to rejuvenate oneself and begin again.
It is lovely to know your mother is doing much better, I am sure everyone here will continue to pray for her and your family.
Have a lovely journey, cheers!

Chic Coles said...

Breath in that mountain air and rest! So glad things are better for your mom.

Charlotte said...

have fun on your getaway!!! love your blog!!! Im a new follower!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Looks stunning! I hope y'all had a wonderful mountain getaway!

Dee Stephens said...

Found you over at Maggi Moss' blog. Where in NC did you guys go!! It's one of my favorite places for a weekend get away.