Friday, July 30, 2010

Random Thoughts: Brain Waves and House Closings


On the way into work this morning, I heard a story on NPR that intrigued me. Perhaps you heard it as well. In a new study released by researchers at Vanderbilt University, they are claiming that highly impulsive people have greater amounts of dopamine in their brains. The story gave certain examples, such as people who have to buy a new gadget, fashion item or other product immediately. And often. The “I must have it now” mentality. Hmm, perhaps in my own brain I’m carrying around some extra dopamine. Although the study also states that highly impulsive people are susceptible to substance abuse and some forms of mental illness. So, not sure if I can lump myself in those categories, although Hubby may argue sometimes on the mental part.

So, part of me felt that I had finally been “diagnosed” with my shopping habit. Perhaps it is actually a chemical imbalance in the brain! Wow, I now have a condition I can blame it on when Hubby sees the AmEx bill each month. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We have our back-to-back house closings today, so fingers crossed that all goes well. I was sitting amid the boxes last night feeling a bit overwhelmed. Oh, well. We’ll survive.

I also want to give a shout-out to a great blogger, stationery designer and neighbor of ours, Crafty Paper Girl, who owns, Paper Doll Stationery. She made us the cutest moving announcements (a sample of work is above) that I picked up last night. Can’t wait to send them out! Thanks again, Amanda!
Image courtesy of Paper Doll Stationery

19 comments:

Mise said...

Good luck with those closings! Your announcement is ever so charming - I'd feel like dropping everything and popping round to visit.

Chic Coles said...

Good luck with the move! Cute announcement.

highheeledlife said...

What an adorable announcement!!! Good luck with the move - sounds like you have your week-end plans.. Can't wait for you to start posting about your new home .. I'm sure it will be marvelous!!! Wishing your Mother all the best, she is in mt thoughts... HHL

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Love the announcement, and good look on your closings! Have a good weekend.
Teresa (Splendid Sass)

Kerr said...

Great moving annoucements. And I am totally using that study to explain my shopping!

James said...

Bonne Chance!

Jennifer said...

such a sweet announcement..best wishes for your new home and your daughter is starting Kindergarten! How fun!..it was sooo hot last weekend for Night in Venice...but waaay better than cold and rainy...have a lovely weekend...we are having breakfast on the water with family who are in town!!then beach and boardwalk...

Jessica Ryan said...

I'm sure I have a dopamine overload! I totally admit I am mentally unstable :) Best of luck with the move XOXO

Unknown said...

Good luck! Love the announcement, very very clever and cute.
Have a great weekend .
xo
amanda

Elizabeth said...

congrats! cute invite.....show us some pics!

Eloise said...

Such an exciting time! Can't wait to see pictures of your new house. Your change of address announcements are darling!

Stephanie said...

I'm totally going to blame the dopamine too for my spending habits. Haha

Natasha in Oz said...

Boy that study really explains a few things for me too!

How exciting things must be for you now!!!! I hope everything has gone smoothly. I can't wait to see your "new house" announcement stationary!

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Haven and Home said...

Maybe that is what is wrong with me too. Hmmm....Hope the closings went well!

myletterstoemily said...

those are the cutest "moving" announcements
i have ever seen. i will certainly visit those
gifted bloggers.

good luck on the move.

as to dopamine, i guess that's where the term
"dope" comes from!

dopey,
lea

Beth Dunn said...

So that's my problem? LOL
xoxo
SC

jennifer little said...

Go Big Blue! I am a Wildcat fan too!

annechovie said...

Those are so cute! All the best to you with your move.

sara said...

Hope your closings went well with no issues - how exciting, can't wait to see pictures of the new house!