Tuesday, July 13, 2010

VV on the Cheap

Random guys sporting their Vineyard Vines attire - I'm guessing they're well into their imported ales at this point, especially the guy with the pink whale stickers on his legs. Buddy, you better have a few more drinks before you peel those puppies off - ouch!


I received an interesting tidbit of information this morning, and I’m sure it’s true, because our intern told me and those kids are always in the know. :)

A local establishment that I’m quite fond of recently hosted its big summer sale, one of the few retailers in the area that carries Vineyard Vines. The last time I was in there, though, one of the sales people said they were phasing out their line of VV. Hmm. So, our intern told me this morning that she hit the sale and, alas, there were no women’s VV polos to be found. So, she asked the owner, “What gives?!” According to the owner, VV is now being carried by Stein Mart and she could not compete with $20 ties and polos. What?? Apparently – and I’m hearing this second-hand, so keep this in mind – VV had so much inventory due to the difficult economic times, that they had to find a way to unload their merchandise on the cheap. VV found that in this economy, even their target audience isn’t shelling out $75 for polos and $80+ for ties.

So, I’m planning to head over to Stein Mart for some “research” on this topic, to see if I need to dispell any rumors here. And for those of you with Stein Marts in your town, let me know if you see any VV on the shelves.

For the record, I don’t want to take anything away from the Murray brothers who built this company. I do admire their “Ties for a Cause” endeavor which donates all of the proceeds from sales of custom-made ties, totes, etc. to a charitable organization or cause. They are currently featuring the Gulf Fish tie which will benefit Gulf-based charities that are assisting with the oil spill clean-up along the Gulf Coast. So, if you have a little cash to spare, you can order a dapper tie and know that your dollars are going to a good cause. Okay, this PSA is over. Back to our regularly scheduled blogging.
Photo courtesy of Vineyardvines.com

19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

ohhh, let us know!

Henley on the Horn said...

Wouldn't that be great? ! I hate it for the Murrays, but they've made their loot and now we can enjoy good prices if it's true!

Jo said...

Darn ~ no Stein Mart to be found in my area.

Hope you find some goodies.

Jo

Kerr said...

ooooh I will be checking out Steinmart soon!

James said...

Just research?

Seersucker Scrapper said...

They also carry them at Filenes Basement and sometimes Marshalls and TJ's

I'maNolaGirl said...

Our Steinmart closed two years ago, but if it was open, I'd be heading there right now! I love their ties and I love that many of them are for a good cause!

Jen said...

Look at those outfits! So much fun!! Love to see guys having fun like this ;-)

Main Line Sportsman said...

I have seen their stuff poking it's preppy head out at Marshall's and Ross.....it was only a matter of time.
I bought a belt at their Nantucket store for a godawful chunk of change...then saw the same one 3 months later at Marshalls for less than 1/2...
You go do that research girl! But remember the new house!

Britta said...

Wow - the guys enjoy their time (no need for a waxing of the legs for the one with the pink plasters :-)
Here in Hamburg shops are going mad: 34° C and the shop windows display - winter coats, mufflers etc - I'll write about that the next days in my blog "You are witty and pretty". Britta

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Gotta love it!
Teresa (Splendid Sass)

sara said...

So....it is true, the Steinmart on Shelbyville Road is a GOLD MINE for men's VV attire! My husband has gotten so much VV stuff from Steinmart within the past year. Now, it's been awhile since I've been in there, but the last time I checked they didn't have much at all for women - though there's a good chance this has changed, especially based upon what your intern heard.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Yep.....saw some VV at Steinmart the other day!

Jessica Ryan said...

those guys are cute... I would have totally gone after the one with the stickers on his legs... though, yeowch getting them off... Let us know whatcha find at Stein Mart... I for rarely shell out full price for anything these days!

teresa-bug said...

I didn't find any at the one near me.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh that's actually bad news for me as we don't have Stein Mart up here. I wonder how many stores are phasing out of my beloved VV polos?

Unknown said...

Hi JMW. I work with Stein Mart and can confirm that some Stein Mart stores do carry Vineyard Vines, but in a limited quantity and it's not necessarily available in all stores. I'd recommend visiting/contacting your local store to determine availability. Please feel free to use our Store Finder to locate the store near you or just track down their phone number: http://www.steinmart.com/storeLocations.stml. Hope this helps. :)

...Amanda Forbes, APR

bevy said...

Out Steinmart has closed... BUT I have seen VV in other areas. Bought great Santa Mermaid corduroys for my husband last Christmas! Blogged about them... too cute!

Unknown said...

Ours has a greater selection for guys than women but definitely carries some vineyard vines!