Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reaching a Hand into the Darkness


Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. ~Dr. Seuss

During the holiday season, it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of gift-buying, party-hosting and at times, great frustration - and even hateful thoughts and words - if you get caught in a traffic jam during the holidays. (Seriously, there have been times I thought I would lose my religion trying to access the mall parking lot.)

But, the holidays are a good time to step back from ourselves and place the focus on those who are less fortunate and in need of our support.

When I was a child, there was always a line that my mom added to the end our prayers, and I now do this with my kids. “God bless the poor, the sick, the old and the lonely, and all the little children of the world.” It’s the prayer that I carry with me this holiday season and share with you, in considering charitable gifts during the holidays.
As you know, there are many worthy causes in your communities – the Salvation Army, United Way, an Angel Tree program, a local women and children’s shelter, an organization that helps recovering addicts – there are countless organizations that would appreciate your donations of time or treasure.

In addition to local charities, there are global organizations making a difference in the lives of others, such as Heifer International, Nothing But Nets, Unicef and many, many more. Do you have a fair trade gift store in your community? We have Just Creations, which features unique crafts, clothing, home goods, jewelry and many more items. Sales benefit artisans in third world countries. It's a great way to do some holiday shopping AND contribute to a good cause. 

I know that so many of you in Blogland have kind hearts and often lend a hand to those in need, all year long. Please share with us what you may be doing to make this holiday season a little brighter to those who may only live in darkness.
Images courtesy of wikipedia and Google and title is partial quote from Norman B. Rice

8 comments:

Renée Finberg said...

we do 'toys for tots' at work.
you wouldn't believe how many great toys we get including the little cars that they drive.
except....
i wonder how the lucky kid that gets the car will ever be able to replace the battery in it.
if the parent qualifies for the entry...
how could they buy an expensive replacement battery?

sometimes i think....
maybe the cars should go to the top 2% of wealthy parents in this country who have tightened their belts in fear of losing their tax breaks.

oh, that's right....
they didn't.

silly me.

xxx

Metropolitan Mum said...

That's a wonderful saying. I want to support an organisation like Save the Children this year. Haven't quite decided yet. MMxx

Lisa Porter said...

I would love to share this over on my fb page if that's alright.
BTW we are nighbors aren't we?
A wonderful post to keep us in check during these hectic times.
Very nice.
xo Lisa

Town and Country House said...

Thoughtful post. My parents set the standard of giving away/donating an amount equal to what they spent on Christmas gifts for our immediate family. It is a standard we are trying to carry on through the Angel Tree and Operation Christmas Child.

North of 25A said...

We have been supporting a local men's shelter for the last few years. I have also taken to the idea of sending personal gifts to people in need that I read about. Christmas giving trees are a favorite one of mine too. Great post.
Best,
Colleen

Gwen Driscoll said...

Very, very sweet prayer. Brought tears to my eyes. Must remember to add to our blessing each day. Hope you are well.

Bumby Scott said...

The family trust supports about 20 charities, I choose to give to only one. The Denver Rescue Mission, the oldest charity in the state. I give because I can see the result of my gifts. When I give small things like combs, tooth brushes and tooth paste, nail clippers things that you and I take for granted, it can and does make a difference in self worth to someone that is down and out.

Mise said...

That's a timely reminder. I always send charity cards, and make a donation to a children's charity, but I could do a lot more. Town and Country Mom's standard of matching family gifts with donations is a good one, and will make us think.