Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ringing in 2011


New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.    ~Mark Twain

Wow, my friends, what a year it has been! Tomorrow we say farewell to 2010 and ring in 2011. It’s been quite a year for us to say the least.

The Good: Our new house, our daughter starting kindergarten;
The Bad: My mom’s illness and the after-effects;
The Ugly: The economy, politics, celebrities behaving badly, etc.

But, I am determined to see 2011 as a glass-half-full-year- red or white, whatever you prefer - and I pray for good health and happiness in the new year. The fact that my mom is returning to teaching part-time in January already has things off to a great start! And, my brother and his wife are expecting a baby in March, so another awesome event in which to look forward!

So, dear friends, how will you ring in 2011? Any special traditions, such as clanging the pots and pans at midnight? A champagne toast? Black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day? By the way, if you’re looking to start a new tradition for New Year’s Day, consider making a batch of Hoppin’ John. Mmm, good!

We’ll be ringing in the new year at a dinner dance with friends and then spending the weekend taking down the Christmas decorations. Sad to see them go, but it’s time to clear the clutter and get ready for the New Year. As far as New Year's Resolutions, I bought a new pair of trail shoes today and have already put them to work on the treadmill. I hope to bump up my exercise regimen over the next year, eat healthier and have a more positive outlook. What are your New Year’s Resolutions for 2011?

Thank you for such a wonderful year. I value your comments, insight and support that you provide every day. I may not always respond directly to each of your comments, but please know that I appreciate them so very much. It means the world to me that you read my daily ramblings and find it worthwhile to visit often.

I wish you and yours the happiest of New Year's! Talk to you in 2011!
Image courtesy of Google and recipe from Garden & Gun

16 comments:

bevy said...

Happy New Years! I need to get more grounded and disciplined... and I say this EVERY year. sigh.

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Oh, my sister is expecting in March, too! Can't wait to hold a tiny baby again. My resolutions are pretty much the same. Hope you have a fantastic time ringing in the new year, Jen! xoxo

Jo said...

Happy New Years to you as well!

Good for you for buying and using the exercise equipment :) My goal for the new year is to simplify my life and expectations. This should be an easy task for a perfectionist ~ Ha!

Enjoy your night out with friends ringing in the New Year.

Jo

Main Line Sportsman said...

Our New Year's Eve...9 Couples...black tie cocktail buffet at our house (Loin of Wild Boar etc).....New Year's Day finds us all at the Mummer's Parade in Phila with beer and fish house punch etc.
Our other tradition is a New Year's day dinner of sauerkraut and knockwurst and smoked pork and mashed potatoes...a nod to my German ancestry...pork on New Year's day is good luck as pigs root forward when they eat ...at least that is what my Grandfather said...
Happy New Year to you and yours and enjoy dancing with your husband on NYE!!

Town and Country House said...

Happy New Year, Jen! I look forward to reading your posts in 2011, and am so glad to hear of your mom's progress!

Tote said...

The dinner dance sounds like fun. Have a wonderful time. Look forward to reading about it next year! New Years day we will be having Sauerkrout and pork with mash potatoes and other standard things for the New Year day. I guess you can tell I am german!

James said...

Thank you for a year of great reading, looking forward to more in 2011. Happy New Year.

The Southland Life said...

great post! HAPPY NEW YEAR! PS. LOVE YOUR NEW BOOTS :)

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Happy New Year to you, Jen!
This is a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy your day.
Teresa

Ella said...

Happy New Years!

It's so nice to participate in your life and minds. Looking forward to much more of that.

We are going to spend the last day of 2010 with my siblings families. I'm preparing the appetizer, my sister will do the main dish and my brother will bring the dessert.

ALR said...

Happy New Year!

xo
Amy R.

Anonymous said...

Clean slate. New year. Here's to getting to everything on our lists.
Cheers, and best wishes!

Anastasia Schembri said...

Wishing you a fab evening of fun tonight and all the best for 2011!

teresa-bug said...

Happy New Year to you and your family!! What great news about your mom!

Tessa said...

Happy New Year, Jen! Hope you had fun last night. Home with a sick child here, but we are kinda low key when it comes to New Year's Eve celebrations anyway, so all is well!
Tessa

Tish Jett said...

Happy, happy new year, cherie.

It's wonderful counting you among my friends.

xo,
Tish