Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday Madness and Stormy Weather

Well, we survived Saturday's birthday party - 18 little girls. Shew! 

It really wasn't that bad. Plenty of squealing and screaming, but I quickly got a hold of myself and went on with the party.

Our big seven-year-old

The theme was "Almost Sleepover." The girls came dressed in their PJs with pillows and stuffed animals in-tow. We did a craft project, a game and then pizza and a movie. Hubby and I saved the cake and ice cream for the bitter-end, so we could send the kids home on a sugar high.

Heading into the weekend, we had quite a scare as deadly tornadoes shook our region. Schools dismissed early on Friday because of the storm warnings, so I picked up the kids and we spent most of the afternoon in the basement watching the weather forecast. We were very fortunate that the tornadoes missed Louisville, but a few miles north of us in Henryville, Ind., the storms devastated that community, as it did in Liberty, Ky., southeast of us. Many lives were lost and entire towns wiped off the map. Please pray for the victims and their families and neighbors who are left to recover and rebuild.

So, on Friday we had 70-degree weather and tornadoes. This morning, we woke up to three inches of snow and 32-degree temperatures. I never know what to expect around here.

Hope you had a great weekend. Happy Monday!
Image property of JMW A Place to Dwell blog


9 comments:

Ella said...

Oh, what a weather you had! But I'm glad that you and your family are all right.

Glitterista said...

I woke up to snow this morning as well! Glad you survived your "almost sleepover" and that you are all safe with all of the scary storms from Friday. :)

Jo said...

Wow, you have certainly experienced weather highlights! Most importantly, you are all safe and sound.

Hope the birthday girl had a great time celebrating with her friends and family!

Jo

Renée Finberg said...

too cute.

ahhhhh i miss when mine was that little and pure/simple, and SWEET!!!

xxx

Suburban Princess said...

Glad to hear you are safe and sound!

Town and Country House said...

So glad you all are okay. We are hosting a birthday slumber party next weekend--13 year olds! I am quite stressed about it, but everyone says the key is plenty of food!

preppyplayer said...

so glad you were safe and by the look of your cute little miss- it looks as though the party was a success!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

I've decided I'm moving to Santa Fe. No tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes. I'm so sad for all those who were hit last week. Such devastation. You are so lucky you have a basement. Here in Dallas, we are part of Tornado Alley, however, are not the least bit prepared...houses here are not built with basements.

On a happier note, happy birthday to your precious 7 year old. Sounds like the perfect birthday pary to me - love the "almost" bit. I need to start planning Stella's and I have to say, I'm not that big of a fan of it. I wish I had the money to hire a planner who would just do it all for me.

Kate said...

"so we could send the kids home on a sugar high" HA! That made me laugh!

Glad you are all safe. So sad about Henryville and the tornadoes.