Thursday, March 1, 2012

They Got Style

Legandary socialite C.Z. Guest always believed that if you have a certain style, and it works for you (such as short hair or red lip stick) stick with it.

She was known for her classic blond flip which she wore until the very end.


I think I'll aspire to the same philosophy. Along with the diamond earrings and giant pearl necklace, of course, as I age gracefully into retirement at my beach house. What? I don't have a beach house?


Another woman-of-age whom I adore, although she's fictional, is Colleen from "30 Rock," played by the wonderful Elaine Stritch. She also wears the pearls and the furs, yet has that oh-so-wonderful  bourbon-and-cigarette infused voice that delivers such lines as, "Is she drunk, Jack? Because remember, when you’re pregnant, one bottle of wine a day. That’s it."

Yeah, I'll likely be more Colleen than C.Z. in my old age. God help my children.

Who is your favorite gal (or guy) who did it well and did it in style?
Images from Life Magazine and NBC 

8 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

This is such a great post! I will have to think about this...there are so many to choose from!

Renée Finberg said...

i am more CZ.
i need to stick with what works
and forget all the rest.


xx

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

I 100% agree. I stick with my pearl necklace and earrings almost 100% of the time. I don't plan on changing anytime soon. Great post!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh I would LOVE to be remembered for my style...
but sadly it might be my quirks on kitchen cleanliness :)

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

the comment above me is funny. when i think of a style i like best carolyn bessette-kennedy comes to mind. i think it's hard to pull off simple, oddly enough. but that would be my wish, too.

About Last Weekend said...

I love both your suggestions. The only thing about straightening my hair - the Brazilian - is that it no longer flicks up a la CZ Guest. I can also tell from that photo she didn't get "work" done, good on her.

Ella said...

Your examples look great both of them. I think there are many old women with style. Maybe this sounds pretentious but I just wish that I can get older with a body in good shape (I have to start the exercises soon...) and hopefully some kind of inner style.

Jo said...

I'm more of a CZ with the addition of wine {some days more than others ~ ugh!}

Hope all is well with you and your family. I am SO out of touch lately ~ I hate when life gets in the way!

Jo