Monday, October 24, 2011

Timeless

 
When you think of classic beauties and trendsetters, certain names come to mind: Jackie, Audrey, Babe, Grace. In the later part of the 20th century, another name was added to the list: Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.
I look at photos of her taken 14 years ago and I'm amazed to see how her style has stood the test of time. It's so sad to think that she and John are no longer here. Oh, what could have been.

Grace Kelly's eldest daughter, Princess Caroline of Monaco, also has a timeless elegance. Here she is in 1982 and this look is still in fashion with the sporty set almost 30 years later.

 
Caroline in recent years, still very regal and chic.

Then there’s Caroline's 25-year old stunning daughter, Charlotte Casiraghi, a dead-ringer for a younger Caroline. Her fashion sense is proving to be just as timeless.

And, of course, there’s the Duchess of Cambridge.
 
So stylish and chic. From the sapphire blue dress she wore during her engagement announcement to the famous wedding gown, we seem to gasp with delight each time we see her.
 
 
She’s become an instant style icon and joins the likes of Jackie, Audrey, Babe and others who inspired legions of fashion followers.

What modern-day women do you consider fashion icons? Who has joined the ranks of the ladies who have set style standards for all of us to follow?
Images from Life Magazine, The Daily Mail, Pascal Le Segretain, Vanity Fair and the San Francisco Sentinal

10 comments:

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

There is nothing more beautiful than timeless and classic beauty. And, yes, it is so sad, because she would have been our present day JackieO, John, we will never know.
This is just what I needed to see this morning! Thank you for sharing.
Teresa
xoxo

About Last Weekend said...

Think top Carolyn really had the best style. Every time I think of piling on the earings, belts etc, think of her simplicity - she pared it right down

Main Line Sportsman said...

All delightful photos...
I wish Kate would put on a few pounds...she is too skinny!

Tote said...

They are all so beautiful with a timeless style. I can't believe how old Caroline's daughter is! I forgot all about her.

Notes From ABroad said...

Regarding Carolyn Bisette Kennedy, I agree wholeheartedly. She had such great style and looked good in everything she wore .. she and Grace Kelly both did wonders for white shirts and camel coats :)
This was lovely .. besos

helen tilston said...

Timeless and classic. I agree with your choices. I would add Princess Dianna to the list.
Great post - all beautiful women
Helen x

highheeledlife said...

Timeless elegance and it yet practical and comfy!!! Great post... just what I needed to see, to get my butt in gear for -reworking my wardrobe...xo HHL

Slices of Beauty... said...

So true, classic style lives for ever. Duchess of Cambridgeis truly modern chic!

preppyplayer said...

I so agree! I remember being impressed by her from the get go.
I was so distraught as my daughter and I passed the vigil at the Tribecca appartment so many years ago only to find out that they were gone...

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest JMW,

Lovely post and quite after my own heart as that is the style I love most. Classic and 'Timeless' with natural grace and beauty! You asked about our modern day fashion icons. Certainly none from the Holywood group as most are not role models to begin with. Look at the anchors of FoxNews and you got quite a number of stylish, smart and beautiful women. That gives us hope that thi 'Timeless' beaty will remain with us over time...

Love to you,

Mariette