Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Reviews - Coming Soon to a Blog Near You

Stay tuned over the next few days for two book reviews I plan to publish. I was again fortunate enough to receive a complimentary copy of Diane Meier’s new set of short stories. If you recall, I reviewed Ms. Meier’s novel, The Season of Second Chances, last year and found it delightful.

Diane Meier, author of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

I’m close to completing Meier's “Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner” (would have whipped through these earlier, but my kids don’t seem to adhere to their bedtime schedule very well), and once I do, I’ll be sure to share my thoughts on the compilation. So far, it’s been a great read - full report soon on the way.

In addition to Meier’s stories, I’m also prepping for Gridiron Belles, a fun look at the Southeastern Conference and a guide for women who are novices to the sport of football.
Christie Leigh Mueller, author of Gridiron Belles

I, for one, am not a novice. I love football and all things SEC. So, when I heard about this book, and the fact that it’s written by Louisville native Christie Leigh Mueller, (who also is an alumnae of my high school), I reached out requesting an interview. As you know, I like to give shout-outs to local writers, artists, businesses, etc., so I thought this would be a fun blog post. Ms. Mueller and I are meeting for coffee next week when she has some down-time from her book tour. And, you Auburn fans are going to LOVE her. Stay tuned – should be fun!

My son's teacher lent me Sarah's Key, which recently was made into a film starring Kristin Scott Thomas. I've barely started it (Yes, I multi-task with a few books at a time; I know, as a friend in college used to say, "That ain't right."), and I've heard great things about it, but the subject matter is already tough to take. A little too Sophie's Choice and I can't handle that, so we'll see where how far I get. If you've read it and liked it, please let me know.

So, dear friends, what are you reading these days? Anything you would recommend? Please share!
Images from dianemeier.com and gridironbelles.com

6 comments:

Anastasia Schembri said...

I can't wait for your reviews, I am constantly looking for new books to read, especially now since my laptop seems to still be on the fritz and the lack of internet has freed up some time for me-LOL!
Just finished 'The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake' (interesting read) and have started on 'My Life from Scratch', both books recommended by my trusty local librarian, she never steers me wrong!

Glitterista said...

I was so good about my daily reading routine before starting my new job. I can't wait to get back on the reading wagon soon as I am beginning to feel a bit more "settled" at work. ;) Can't wait to hear your reviews!

sweetpea said...

I just started sarah's key as well!

Metropolitan Mum said...

So funny, I had your blog 'open' all day to comment but you've been quicker :-)

I am envious of all the people who do book reviews. I hardly manage to read at the moment, let alone write about it.

Heather said...

I thought Sarah's Key was fine, but didn't live up to the really positive reviews that I'd seen.

bevy said...

I so need that book Gridiron Belles! I am a football widow every fall!

And thank you so much for your sweet comments...xox