Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dish Dilemma


Well, I think it’s time to invest in some new everyday dishes. The set we purchased a few years ago from what I thought to be a reputable establishment, has not lasted the test of time (a very short time, I might add). One dinner plate broke in half as my husband was about to place it on the table – it already had a crack in it, so I guess the weight of the food just sent it over the edge. My daughter then accidentally broke a dessert plate placing it in the sink (props to her for carrying her dish to the sink, though). And, several bowls and other plates have chips or cracks in them. (Thank goodness my fine china is in excellent condition, of course, it only comes out of the china cabinet on special occasions.)

I’m thinking of returning to Williams-Sonoma where I purchased some soup bowls a few years ago, which we primarily use for cereal, fruit or snacks. I’ve had them for years and they’re still in great condition. Plus, they’re white and that never goes out of style. There’s also a nice setting I have my eye on at Crate & Barrel; again a simple white design that goes with everything.

If anyone has suggestions on nice, affordable everyday dinnerware, please send the information my way. I would greatly appreciate it!
Image courtesy of Williams-Sonoma

2 comments:

Jo said...

I have white dishes from both stores. I like many patterns so I decided to mingle the styles. This probably doesn't help narrow down your decision ~ sorry.

Jo

Eloise said...

I'm afraid I'm not much help. I love the Vietri pottery, but I bought a couple of bowls of theirs a year or two back and they chip terribly. I'm glad I tested out just a few pieces before investing in a whole set. Keep me posted on what you decide as I'm still in the market for some new (or additional) everyday dishes.