Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Running of the Fillies


Today, Hubby and I got an invitation to the Kentucky Oaks next Friday, which means I have to scout out a dress pronto. I already have a fabulous hat that I purchased at the Hats for Hope auction last year, but have yet to have an opportunity to wear it. Now I do!

Our host is taking us to a brunch at a local hotel, where apparently some Food Network personalities will be on hand. Apparently it won't be Ina Garten or Paula Deen, but, I’ll take what I can get! Then we’re off to the Jockey Club Suites at Churchill Downs and, hopefully, good weather.

It’s such a treat to go to the Oaks and/or Derby. For several years, we were so fortunate to be able to participate in the pageantry of the Derby, thanks to Hubby’s grandparents and their box seats. But, tickets don’t pass down through families (at least that’s what they tell you) and after his dear grandparents passed away, tickets were more difficult to come by. We have gone with his father, as well as another set of friends in the past, but the last couple of years, it’s not happened. In 2007, I was nine months pregnant, so to avoid going into labor at Churchill Downs, we stayed home. Last year, we didn’t make it to Derby, but did attend the Oaks with my mother-in-law, who had box seats at the time. But as I mentioned in a previous post, a monsoon hit and made for a miserable day.

So, I’m thrilled to be going to the Oaks. It’s such a great time of year in the River City. Can’t wait!
Photo courtesy of Bill Luster, The Courier-Journal

2 comments:

QueenBeeSwain said...

thrilled to bits that you get to get gussied up and be ultra girlie and glam at the oaks! have so much fun dress shopping :)

kHm

Jo said...

What fun! I've always wanted to go to the Derby but it just never works out. Have a wonderful time on Friday! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jo