Monday, April 20, 2009

Gentlemen and Players

I just finished reading Gentlemen and Players by British author Joanne Harris – a novel I highly recommend. It’s a murder mystery set at a boys’ academy in England and I have to say, I didn’t see the ending coming. Usually, I have a good idea who the killer is in a novel, or I can at least see the direction in which a story is headed. Not this one. In fact, when a major bombshell was dropped toward the end of the novel, I had to reread the page again. “Surely I read that wrong,” I said. But, I didn’t and I was really pleased with how Ms. Harris completely surprised me.
Image courtesy of www.amazon.com

2 comments:

Jo said...

Perfect ~ I'm looking for a new book to read. Thanks.

Jo

Laura said...

I've just requested it from the library. Can't wait!