Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Handbags and the Oddest Invitation Ever


Do you think if I started carrying this kate spade bag that I could will the sun to make a special appearance in these parts? Because, right now, I feel like I’m living in the Pacific Northwest, sans ocean and mountain views.

Maybe the purse should read: Hello?? Sunshine??

Actually, if I’m going to shell out $275 or more for a purse, it’s not going to look like a crocheted tiki hut. I much prefer the Point Breeze Small Coal...


 or the Cherry Valley Adeline...
 How cute would this Royal Plantation Elephant Basket be at Derby?

Yeah, I can already tell that after a few mint juleps, one may have difficulty figuring out how to open the darn thing.

I'm currently trying to track down a purse I carried to Derby a few years ago. It's a cigar box that was converted to a handbag and features an equine scene on one side, as well as a cute tassel hanging off one of the handles. But, with the move last summer, Lord only knows where that thing went. Hopefully I'll find it soon.

Oh, and I just have to share what may win the "Random Invitation" of the year award. Yesterday, I received an invite via Facebook (always classy) to a post-Derby dinner at a local German restaurant, which isn't too far from my house. I think it's a charitable fundraiser, but for what charity, I'm not sure. One of my fellow Junior League ladies is helping organize it.

Anyhoo, the "guest of honor" - and I use that phrase loosely - is Vickie Gunvaleson from "The Real Housewives of Orange County." Really? What the heck? Well, I guess I'm officially part of the D-list gallery now, if I'm getting invited to these kinds of affairs. Think I'll pass this year, although, the can't-stop-watching-the-sideshow part of me wants to peek in on the action. Nope. Be strong. Resist the urge!
Images from katespade.com

9 comments:

Kerr said...

I love the elephant purse, so unique!

probably a good idea to stay away from any event where a "bravolebrity" is the guest of honor!

Anastasia Schembri said...

D-list?? You are definitely A-list in my books! :)
Love these purses, I just wish the weather would be straw-friendly! Can't wait to hear all your news from the Derby!!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

That elephant basket is too cute! xx

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Love love the second bag.
Jen, a facebook invite means nothing to me. I wish I was headed to the derby! Lucky you.
Have a wonderful week.
Teresa
xoxo

highheeledlife said...

These bags are so adorable ... I love the elephant one...hope you find your cigar box one, it sounds great!! xo HHL

Metropolitan Mum said...

Oh lala, the point breeze is definitely up my street. And haha for the comment on the D-list gallery. :-)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I love straw bags! They have such a "I'm on vacation, and more casual now" attitude. Especially near and dear to my heart are the ones that you can put half your life in... and second to that bag is that darling elephant!
Such a cute post!
Hope you find your cigar box!
Yvonne

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

That elephant bag is too much! Love it, but I agree...definitely not the most practical!

bevy said...

My favorite is the Cherry Valley Adeline... Obviously you are on the A List, honey! Can't wait to hear all about your time at the Derby!