Monday, May 18, 2009

Pretty in Plaid


So, I drank the literary Kool-Aid and purchased Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster. It seems that every other blog I read these days is featuring this book, so I ran out to Barnes & Noble the other evening to see what all the buzz was about.

I assumed this would be another chick-lit novel about the life of a preppy girl, just trying to make her way in the world. While the fare is somewhat light, Jen's biting commentary and acerbic wit makes this a fun read. It's a memoir dating from the 1970s (when Jen was about eight) to the present, with much commentary focused on fashion. For those of us who recall the many fashion dos and don'ts of 70s, 80s and 90s, along with music and pop culture references, I think you'll find this a delightful piece of escapism.

Jen Lancaster also has an amusing blog, jennsylvania, that's worth checking out.
Image courtesy of amazon.com

3 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

Yes I will have to get it! Check my site for your award. xoxo

alison giese Interiors said...

I think I must out of the literary loop - and I need a fun summery read - thanks for the heads up!

Domestic Diva said...

You are so good, I have to start reading mine...
Have a fantastic day!!
xxxxx me