Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Southern Architecture



I love older homes with architectural character, especially those with southern roots. Whether it’s a painted-brick and black-shuttered house in Louisville’s Highlands neighborhood, an antebellum manse in Natchez or a low-country tin-roof cottage in Savannah, these houses just call to me. There’s nothing more appealing than the thought of sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch of one of these houses with a cool drink in your hand. Heaven, simply heaven.

So, for anyone who shares my love of southern dwellings, I recommend a couple of books.

In Kentucky, a well-known, Louisville-born architect named Stratton Hammon made a name for himself designing architectural jewels across the Commonwealth. From cottages to grand dames, these homes are pieces of art. Many are scattered about Louisville, in some of the older, tree-lined neighborhoods, such as Seneca Gardens, the Upland/Top Hill Road area and Cherokee Gardens. A book about his work, Kentucky Homes of Stratton Hammon, was published last year and features the amazing work he created during his time (he died in 1997).

A contemporary of Hammon’s whom I greatly admire is Timothy Winters. I’ve always said that if I win the lottery, Mr. Winters will design my home. He has a wonderful knack for capturing the beauty and character of older Louisville homes in a newly built design. He’s very much of the “new-old-house” school of thought.

If you love the residential architecture of Louisiana, check out The Louisiana Houses of A. Hays Town. Town, considered by many as the “premiere architect of the South,” died in 2005 at the age of 101. His designs are said to have inspired many southern architects over the years, leaving quite a legacy. His work, and the aforementioned book, are featured in the latest issue of Southern Living.

I am by no means an expert on architecture; I just love to pour over architectural and design books and dream. So, I would love to hear from readers on the types of architecture where you live, notable designers, etc.
Images courtesy of Butler Books and Amazon.

4 comments:

QueenBeeSwain said...

Completely drooling over the architecture- there is nothing quite so stately as a Georgian brick home with black or hunter-green shutters and dormer windows on the third floor, is there? Utter-perfection. Thank you for the heads up on the fantastic books!

kHm

Haven and Home said...

Hi!

I love southern homes, A. Hayes Town's book was one of the first I read. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. The paint color in the foyer is Benjamin Moore Brunswick Beige.

I can't wait to read through some more of your blog, I am so behind on my blog reading!

Jo said...

What beautiful homes ~ I've always admired Southern style homes.

Jo

Eloise said...

I am entranced just by the covers of those two books! I bet I would like Louisville from the sampling of architecture I've seen.

By the way, I loved the hat and dress you wore to the Oaks!