Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Boykins

Hubby went quail hunting last Saturday and came back not only with birds to eat, but stories about the two wonderful hunting dogs the guide brought on the trip. They were English Setters, beautiful breeds and similar to a hunting dog that Hubby’s late grandfather once owned.

So, as we’re reading the latest issue of Garden & Gun, which happens to be the sporting issue focusing on fly fishing and hunting (Hubby was glued to the pages), there was an essay and an article about hunting dogs, in particular the Boykin Spaniel (puppy pictured above). I had never heard of this dog, but apparently it’s South Carolina’s State Dog. So, in addition to never having heard of the dog, I learned that states have dogs. Who knew?

With our curiosity peaked, Hubby and I went online to see what these pups look like and learn more about them. These are cool dogs. They’re not only good companions and great family dogs, they’re ideal hunting dogs, if you’re into that sort of thing. And, they’re not huge – averaging about 40 to 50 pounds in weight. While we’re not in the market a dog right now (still mourning King, kids are too young, we're too busy) I could definitely see a Boykin as a possibility for our family one day. I’ve always been a big proponent of pound and rescue dogs and come to find out, there’s a rescue program for Boykins. Again, who knew? So, perhaps one day we’ll get a Boykin. Or not. Either way, I’m glad I learned about them.
Image courtesy of Rock Creek Kennels

10 comments:

Emily said...

So cute! I think the Boykins would work perfectly for you! Especially with that adorable face! xx LZ

bevy said...

I grew up owning Boykin Spaniels!!! But then, my daddy is a big hunter, AND I do live in South Carolina. As a matter of fact, Daddy was on the Boykin Spaniel Board about ten years ago. It's a serious bread LOL!

Seriously, they are wonderful dogs and great with children. The are very pretty dogs (but if you get one that isn't, it REALLY isn't!) and are so sweet.

If you need the name of a good breeder, let me know!

jok said...

So cute!!! It would be great if you could go the rescue route.

Samma said...

Love the Boykins. I wonder what Tennessee's state dog is. . .probably some sort of blue tick hound. Hee.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

What a darling puppy..

I however am over here with old dog troubles.....medications all over this house..blankets...water bowls at the ready..daily talks with the vet on what to do next..had Buddy since he was 8 weeks..so now at 14 in his golden years...we will do anything to make him a HAPPY dog.....He is doing good...with 24/7 attention....

more later,
Kary and Buddy

A Refocused Life said...

I think I have 'puppy love' after seeing this little guy...so cute.

We are 'dogless' for the first time in thirty four years...lost our last two dogs this summer at ages of 17 and 15. We are trying to remain pet- free, but it is so difficult not to look and want.

Can't wait to see what dog represents my state.

Beth Dunn said...

I'm so happy you shared that with us! First they are sooooo cute. And we love to hunt (well I don't but husband does) and I love that they don't get too big. xoxo

SC

Southern Aspirations said...

I read a book about Boykins at one point-otherwise I wouldn't know. They do look super cute.

But mostly, I have to say YAY for the rescue! It is amazing how many unwanted dogs there are- even full-breeds!

ALR said...

I think this is a cute dog. I am so very sorry about losing your King. Thank you for leaving a kind comment on my blog about our dog. It will definately be a long while before we think about getting another dog as well. I really enjoy reading your posts, your blog is lovely!

Amy R.

Eloise said...

Such a cute puppy!

I'm so sorry about the loss of King. It was seven years after our beloved dog Sam died before we got our new puppy Tucker. It is so hard to lose a pet.