Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kitchen Renovation - It May Really Happen This Time


I know this kitchen has been featured on such blogs as Cote de Texas and most recently The Newlywed Diaries, but I couldn't help feature the island because it's so gorgeous. I love the idea of taking a piece of furniture and making it the island. Oh, to have such a space to cook in! Actually, we've been working with an architect/contractor on possibilities for our kitchen renovation. Last week, he had the cabinet maker and electrician out to the house for a walk-through. Today, I'm meeting him at lunch for the flooring and HVAC guys to see the kitchen. We're waiting on a final quote to see if this is going to break the bank or not, but it's sounding like it's a real possibility after the holidays.

Luckily, we don't need to purchase new appliances, which is a big cost when renovating. And, we're not completly redoing the cabinets, so another area where we can save. But, we are looking at some demo, to open the kitchen into the family room. Given that we're discussing possibly moving a little closer into town over the next year or so, we really need to update the kitchen, since that's what often sells a house. But, we don't want to outprice ourselves for our neighborhood by going overboard. I think what we have planned is a good balance.

So, I'll keep you posted on if and when this adventure in renovation begins. It'll mean several weeks without a kitchen, so I'm sure I'll be in a great mood in the first part of 2010. But, I just need to keep my eye on the prize, right?
Images courtesy of The Newlywed Diaries

8 comments:

Samma said...

I love renovation before and afters so please keep us posted!

Emily said...

Good luck on your renovations!!! That island is gorgeous! And yes, do keep us posted:) x LZ

Haven and Home said...

Keep us posted. I love the drawers on that piece!

Jessica Ryan said...

We are renovating in 2 steps. This year we repainted and next will be countertops, floor and stove/grill. I wish we could do it all at once, but the paint alone has made a HUGE difference!

Good luck with it all!!

Jane said...

Good luck. My tips are lots and lots of storage (although you may already have that if you are not redoing all your cupboards), make sure you have enough pantry space. Proper flooring which doesn't stain and the height needs to be right (I find a lot of kitchen benches are too low esp if you cook in high heels!!)

Jo said...

Love the island! We remodeled our kitchen last year ~ even the appliances. It was a mess but oh so worth it!

Good luck!
Jo

Elizabeth said...

would you believe i'm still in the process of renovating my little kitchen? it has taken me this long to make a decison. hopefully all this well thought out plans will pay off and it will be fabulous. i met with our cabinet guy today and i should have a kitchen by mid january! can't wait to see your pics

cotedetexas said...

it's a cute one! loved it too!!!