Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Good Blend

What do you get when you mix Kentucky bourbon barrels and Australian wine? A damn fine drink. Garden & Gun recently featured Southern Belle Shiraz, a new wine from an area south of Adelaide, Australia that's creating a lot of buzz among winemakers.

What's so special about this wine? Well, it's aged in whiskey barrels from the Pappy Van Winkle Distillery in Kentucky (in my Hubby's opinion, the Rolls Royce of bourbons produced in the Commonwealth). The barrels once held whiskey for a 20-year period, and when the barrels made it to Australia, they were filled with the Shiraz, which was then aged for 18 months. I can only imagine the taste. Wow!

I have yet to try Shiraz Southern Belle, but I'm dying to, so I'll be on the search this holiday season. And, to my friends from Down Under, if you can get your hands on a bottle as well, let me know what you think. Cheers!
Image courtesy of Garden & Gun Magazine

5 comments:

Kalee said...

I have been so anxious to try this fabulous concoction! Cheers!

Emily said...

Sounds delicious! I can taste the spices from Ol' Kentucky all the way over here! x LZ

bevy said...

Sounds intriguing... I'll have to look for this. Can't wait to ask for some bottled Southern Belle!

CRICKET said...

When I was in college I actually visited the wine country in Australia. Would love to try this too, too bad we can;t have a virtual wine tasting.

Natasha in Oz said...

I haven't seen this one yet but I am definitely looking into it! I will let you know.

Best wishes, Natasha.