Thursday, February 11, 2010

Death of a Fashion Designer


I just read that British fashion designer Alexander McQueen was found dead today in his home in London. He was 40.

This was so odd, because I recently commented about one of McQueen's designs that appeared in a post on To the Manner Born. I had never been a fan of his work because I always found it very binding, constrictive looking. As if one was trying to encage a woman. Some of his collections I just thought, "Wow, does he really dislike women that much?" But, apparently that was his style as a young designer. Angry, rough around the edges. But as his work evolved, the style became softer and more approachable. His tailoring was said to be impeccable. And, he certainly made his mark in turning the standard catwalk show into a technological extravaganza.

So, I send codolences to the McQueen family and his design house for this great loss. Long live McQueen.
Image courtesy of USA Today

9 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

Wow, I am shocked... I always thought I was SOoooooooooo much younger. (I certainly look it ;)!)

I was not a fan of his work for the same reasons, but the fashion industry has definitely lost a talented fashion icon.

Toad said...

I agree with your sentiments. The fashion world has lost an original.

Ange said...

And so young... Is it the price of success and lifestyle, hazard, or the natural scheme of things. Having my 40th this year too!

Anastasia Schembri said...

I agree with you, his collections never really held my interests for the same reasons. But such a shame, the loss of life of someone so young and talented is a loss for all of us.

Natasha in Oz said...

Very sad news...I also heard that his mother died recently too? If so the family must be totally grief-stricken.

Natasha.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

saw it and was shocked too...

so young

so sad

myletterstoemily said...

such a shame and loss.

Laura Trevey said...

Oh my goodness... He was amazing!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Valentine's Day! xx