Sunday, November 28, 2010

Letters

A couple of weeks ago, a little boy in our neighborhood dropped a note in our mailbox, as well as those of other neighbors, asking us to donate certain items to be sent to our troops this holiday season. One of the items he said they really want are letters. So, I started writing letters last week and I'm hoping to finish a few more today before the little boy, Nate, comes to pick them up.

I felt a little bad that I didn't make it to the store to purchase other items from the list, such as socks, batteries, beef jerkey (this made me chuckle a bit), and more. But, I'm hoping that our letters bring a little hope and sunshine to these dedicated soldiers who are spending the holidays away from family and friends.

Perhaps if you're looking for something extra to do this holiday season to spread happiness and good cheer, consider sending letters to our soldiers fighting to protect us and defend our freedom. I'm sitting in the comfort of my nice home with my family this morning, drinking coffee and looking at my laptop. Tomorrow, I return to work where I will sit in a comfy chair, working on my computer, enjoying a gorgeous view of the downtown skyline, while also sipping coffee. I don't have to wear full-on protective military gear, carry a gun for protection and worry about what will be waiting for me around the next corner. We should often keep this in our minds and be thankful for our blessings.

While little Nate is collecting the letters I wrote, there are a number of organizations in which you can send letters, such as Operation Gratitude, Letters to Soldiers, and Soldiers' Angels, among many others. Consider dropping a soldier a line and saying thanks this holiday season or even after the holidays. It's a small gesture that will go a long way.
Image courtesy of Google Images

9 comments:

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Wonderful idea, Jen. Thank you for sharing this story. What a precious boy.
Have a lovely week.
Teresa

Rob Boddice said...

This is a bona fide Good Idea. I do try to explain to people that nothing quite beats receiving a letter (certainly not receiving an email), but nobody seems to know how to write anymore. Our attachment to things ethereal must really have impacted the morale of the boys out on the front line.
VB

highheeledlife said...

GREAT POST!!! There is no replacement for a hand written letter.. I just posted about the The power of the written word!!xo HHL

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Great reminder that even something small can make a difference in someone's life!

James said...

A wonderful idea to suport, good for you.

kayce hughes said...

What a wonderful idea.

Jo said...

Nate has a big heart!

This is such a wonderful project that means so much to those deployed. We've had a few father in our school tell us how important these packages are to the many that are away from their families and loved ones. My school {almost all military} has a drive every holiday season for the desired items and the classes make cards and write letters.

Jo

myletterstoemily said...

what a great idea! thank you so much for
kicking me out of my lethargy.

i will write to whomever@

blessings,
lea

pve design said...

Letters really are like opening hope!
I love getting letters - off to work on sending some care...
pve